Saturday, September 17, 2016

148: Only in Texas

Most states have some famous foods or special holidays or local celebrations that help define its character. Texas has a "lone star" quality that is part of its psyche, as well as a "it's bigger in Texas" mentality that pervades much of the state's personality.

Well, there are other things that one sees in Texas, that one might not see in other states. So here are a few of the things I saw today that I have not seen in the first 7500 miles of this trip (through some 22 other states and provinces).  Of course, I might have seen them anywhere, but as it turns out, I didn't see them until I hit Texas.



I can't believe I didn't see this sign in Louisiana, but I didn't. It's in Texas.  Breakfast all day, and deep fried gator eggs. I am so sorry it was too early for our second breakfast. I think I might have liked to try a deep fried gator egg!
How about that?


On the other hand, every day starts a little brighter with a Texas-shaped waffle!














And no, you cannot use your food stamps for energy drinks in Texas. It just wouldn't be right. (A similar sign was on the ICEE machine.)




It doesn't matter how long the timber is, as long as you have a red flag out there on the back end of it!
We saw way too many of these out in the wooded roads

Aging infrastructure?  What aging infrastructure?


No, it's not a tree in a snowy field.  It's a little cypress tree way off by itself in the lake.

California is not the only state with a Lone Cypress!
As far as the ride went today - it was more of that up and down stuff we love so much.  The day ended up hot, but we had fog and overcast for a good part of the day, making it more tolerable in the morning. 

The day's report:  Jasper to Cold Spring, 73.6 miles/7353 to date


3 comments:

  1. Just a little up the road to Point Blank! Wonder if the secret message is still in the brick wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a trip down memory lane. There hasn't been that much development up there, so I bet the house is pretty much as we left it.

      Delete
  2. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... georgetown Dumpsters

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, but want to know who you are. If you are not registered to comment, please include your email in your comment so I can respond directly to you.