Tuesday, September 20, 2016

151: Back in my old town

I love my home in California. But I will always have a special place in my heart for Houston, the city where I was born and lived for 40+ years.

Today, when we arrived in town, we took a few minutes to drive past two old houses that are dear to me: my grandmothers' homes.

Grandma's house
My mom's mom lived in a brick house in the Heights. I remember walking around the block (it seemed like such a long way to go) and stopping in for penny candy at the little grocer at the end of the block. There was a house across the street that had stood empty for years, the victim of an unresolved inheritance issue, I believe. It was two-story (one of the few on the street), starting to decay, covered up with trees and shrubs and vines, and we were convinced it was haunted!

Grandma had a pecan tree, and we'd pick up and then shell the pecans, and play cards with her and watch "Family Feud" - one of her favorite shows.
Grandma's, and then my own house

My dad's mom lived just down the road in North Norhill, also in the Heights area. Her house was one of a million frame houses in the cottage style that sprang up in the 20s and 30s.  She had two crepe myrtle trees out front, one that you could climb and one that you just couldn't, and we spent hours in the former. Just around the corner was a proper grocery store, where we would walk with Grandma to get stuff for dinner or treats. My first husband and I bought her home from my dad after she died, and painted it blue - her favorite color. I am happy to see that the people who own it now have taken great care of it, and added some great contrast trim to the paint job.
Great climbing tree from my youth

We then went to visit my friend Rhonda, who has a bookstore with gifts (or a cool gift store with books) in the Heights "downtown."  She's going to host a little get-together for us on Thursday, so if you are in town and reading this before then, come on by!  The Lift is on 19th street, number 365.  The get-together is at 7:00 pm.
Roger at The Lift

Books, gifts, cool stuff!
These clouds don't mess around. Twenty minutes later, it was raining.

Rhonda and Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, but want to know who you are. If you are not registered to comment, please include your email in your comment so I can respond directly to you.